Flaxseeds are super healthy and a great source of fiber and omega-3 fats, particularly Alpha- Lipoic Acid (ALA). However, the omega-3 fats are contained within the fibrous outer shell of the seed, which humans can’t digest easily. If you want to increase your omega-3 levels, it’s best to eat flaxseeds that have been ground.
“1 ounce (28 gm.) of flax seeds (flax seeds) contains:”
- Calories: 152
- Fiber: 7.8 grams
- Protein: 5.2 grams
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.1 grams
- Omega-3 fats: 6.5 grams
- Omega-6 fats: 1.7 grams
- Manganese: 35% of the RDI (Recommended Daily Intake)
- Thiamine (vitamin B1): 31% of the RDI (Recommended Daily Intake)
- Magnesium: 28% of the RDI (Recommended Daily Intake)
“Health benefits FLAX SEEDS (Flax seeds)“
- Flaxseeds also contain a number of different polyphenols, especially lignans, which act as an important antioxidant in the body. Lignans are phytoestrogens and are similar to the female sex hormone estrogen. Lignans, as well as the fiber and omega-3 fats in flaxseeds, can all help to reduce cholesterol and other risk factors for heart diseases.
- Flaxseeds also help to reduce blood pressure. Few studies have shown that flax seeds can reduce blood pressure especially when eaten every day for more than 12 weeks.
- Few studies have shown that eating flaxseeds may reduce the size of tumor growth in women with breast cancer, and may also reduce any cancer risk.
- The same benefits have been shown regarding prostate cancer in men.
- Flaxseeds also help to reduce blood sugar, which may help lower the risk of diabetes.
- Flaxseed helps in the weight loss process as it reduces appetite.
How to eat flaxseeds:
- You can eat flaxseed with water. At first, you need to soak the seeds for 30 minutes and then mix it with water and it is ready to eat with a glass of water.
- But is better to make flaxseed powder and then drink it with water because it is tastier.
- You can use it for a weight loss program. You can mix flaxseed powder with yogurt and it is ready to consume.
Note: do not make a huge amount of flaxseed to powder. Store it as seeds and make the power only that much you need to consume daily.