Pumpkin is a type of squash that belongs to the Cucurbitaceae family. It is mainly a winter vegetable but can be grown throughout the year. It is rich in fiber, tastes slightly sweet and has a juicy texture with a great taste. Pumpkin is bright orange inside and its seeds are equally healthy like the vegetable part.
One cup of cooked pumpkin (245 grams) contains:
- Calories: 49
- Fat: 0.2 grams
- Protein: 2 grams
- Carbs: 12 grams
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Vitamin A: 245% of the Reference Daily Intake (RDI)
- Vitamin C: 19% of the RDI
- Potassium: 16% of the RDI
- Copper: 11% of the RDI
- Manganese: 11% of the RDI
- Vitamin B2: 11% of the RDI
- Vitamin E: 10% of the RDI
- Iron: 8% of the RDI
- Small amounts of magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, folate and several B vitamins.
- High Antioxidant Content in pumpkins May Reduces the risk of many chronic diseases. Pumpkin contains the antioxidants alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, beta-cryptoxanthin, and many others, which may protect your cells against damage by free radicals. Excessive free radicals in your body create a state called oxidative stress, which has been connected to chronic illnesses, including heart disease and
- Pumpkins contain carotenoids, which function as antioxidants. These compounds can reduce the risk of stomach, throat, pancreas cancer, breast cancers, prostate cancer, and Colon cancer.
- Including pumpkin in the diet may help people control diabetes and their blood sugar levels. The phenolic phytochemicals in this vegetable can control the blood sugar level, and lower the risk for diabetes.
- Pumpkin contains potassium and antioxidants, which contribute to good heart health. Pumpkin is loaded with blood pressure-regulating minerals like potassium, magnesium, and iron. They are necessary for providing oxygen to red blood cells. Surprisingly, one cup of pumpkin packs 14% of your daily value for potassium.
- Pumpkins contain a wealth of antioxidants. Vitamin C, vitamin E, and beta-carotene support eye health and prevent degenerative damage in older adults.
- Pumpkin is high in vitamins A and C, which can help boost your immune system. Its supply of vitamin E, iron and folate may strengthen your immunity as well.